What Moodle Version am I using? 4 Techniques
How to check Moodle version installed? What Moodle Version am I using?
When my students ask me clarifications on Moodle, to give the best suitable answer, I always ask them “Which Moodle version they have installed”? And very often they will not know the exact version that they are using – or they have installed.
So, in this short tutorial, I will show multiple ways how to determine exactly which version of Moodle is installed.
If you have any of these questions in your mind, you will the answer in this post: “What Moodle version do I use?”, “which Moodle version do i have”, “which Moodle version is best”, “which Moodle version”, “Moodle version check”, “how to check Moodle version installed”, “find Moodle version number”, “how to know Moodle version”. Read on…
Technique 1: From Notifications page
- Login with an Administrator account
- Go to Administration > Site administration > Notifications
- Find the version number at the bottom of the Notifications page:
Technique 2: From the Moodle “Version.php” file
- Locate the file <moodle>/version.php – where <moodle> is your own Moodle directorySee this example image:
- Open the file moodle/version.php in a plain text editor. Do not use MS Word or similar software – it is liable to mangle the text while closing/saving. Do not use the browser to open this file!
- You can see the exact Moodle version in this file – refer “release” parameter in the image below.
Technique 3: Finding Moodle version programmatically
During run time, the above $version and $release variables are copied into the $CFG global object. If you are writing PHP for Moodle, you can access the variables
Technique 4: If you have no Admin access (for e.g. if you have a Teacher role)
This technique might not work every time – and even when it does, it will give you a close, working approximation.
See if you have a link at the bottom of any Moodle page “Moodle docs for this page” – when logged in. If your admin has allowed this link to display, you should be taken to the documentation for your version of Moodle. Look at the number in the URL e.g. 29 or 31 which mean you are using Moodle 2.9 or 3.1 respectively.
Have you found any other ways to find out your Moodle’s version number? Was this tutorial helpful to you? What more would you like to see in this blog?
Let me know in the comments section below – I promise to reply back!
How to determine the Moodle version installed?
How to tell what Moodle version you have?
How do I figure out which version of Moodle I am using?
How can I check Moodle version? Calendars missing